Learn to Lead Climb Course – 2 Days March 16, 2019
This is a 2 day outdoor learn to lead climb course.
2 DAY LEARN TO LEAD CLIMB COURSE OVERVIEW
The focus of this course is learning to lead climb and transitions from lead climbing to abseiling (cleaning a route). We also cover good climbing technique and movement skills.
This is a popular course for people who are ready to take the next step from top rope climbing or lead climbing indoors on to the real rock! Or people who have started out climbing with a friend and would like to extend their knowledge and skills from a qualified rock climbing instructor.
This course is also suitable for people working towards a NZOIA (new Zealand Outdoor Instructors Association) Rock leader or NZOIA Rock1 instructor awards.
Our lead climbing courses are delivered in Christchurch. We meet at Albert terrace in St Martins, Christchurch on the first day. From the road end the climbing area is just 5 mins walk. Day 2 the location will be decided by the group and your instructor. We often use Cattlestop climbing area , pop up climbing area and Rapaki Rock on the top of the Port Hills (30 mins from Christchurch city center) for the second day.
R U TRAVELLING FROM OUT OF TOWN?
Lots of people travel to attend our rock climbing courses and we like to make it easy. We off a free pick up/drop off service for people for people traveling from out of town from the airport and Christchurch city centre accommodation. Talk to one of our friendly team about our pick-up/drop off service.
“The techniques that were introduced made a massive difference to my climbing” – Samantha Taylor, Wellington
“Really fun weekend, great safe experience. will come again” – James Hoodson, Canterbury
THIS LEAD CLIMBING COURSE COVERS
- Loads of time spent climbing!
- Efficient movement Techniques
- Lead belaying with Belay /ATC
- Lead belaying with assisted braking device (GriGri)
- personal Safety at top of crag
- Stotting the lead climber
- assessing safety of climbing routes
- Anchor setups on bolts
- anchors for personal safety at top
- Transition from Lead climbing to top rope
- Transition from Lead climbing to Abseiling
WHAT GEAR DO I NEED?
Nothing, we have everything available to hire if you don’t own climbing gear, easy as.
If you planning on bringing your own gear or borrowing from a friend here an idea of what to bring (We’ll send a full gear list upon booking ).
- Climbing helmet
- Belay/abseil device (ATC)
- Climbing shoes or snug fitting sports shoes
We recommend holding of on purchasing any new climbing gear until after the course (except climbing shoes). why not buy new stuff? so you can optimism on your instructors knowledge and recommendations.
Field Based Course Covers:
- See course page for further details
Please bring your own lunch and snacks and large drink.
- It is recommended that you have some climbing experience before attending this course. Give us a call or email is your not sure if this is the right course for you.