River Crossing Course March 14, 2020
RIVER CROSSING COURSE
Completing a one day river crossing course with OENZ is a great way to up skill and ensure your safety before you head on your next big adventure. Rivers are one of the greatest hazards in the New Zealand outdoors and claim lives every year! They are dynamic and pose a serious risk to the untrained.
“There are on average, about four river crossing deaths each year. Of these accidents, 80% occur in flooded rivers or side streams.” (Bush craft Manual Fourth edition. Mountain Safety Council, 2006)
- River characteristics
- River crossing principles
- Decision Making
- River crossing methods
- Participants must be fit to travel for approximately one to four hours, (depending on location) across a rough surface (boulder riverbed), with a full pack
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age (or a minimum of 14 if their attendance is agreed to by the course director and a parent/guardian)
If you do not have your own equipment you can hire everything you need to attend this course, from us.
- Sturdy boots or shoes
- Beanie/warm hat
- Full change of clothing
- Tramping/hiking pack or day bag
The ability to swim confidently is not a pre-requisite of this course, however if participants are not confident swimmers they should advise their instructors of this on registration.
*A minimum of 4 participants are required for the course to run.
Field Based Course Includes:
- See course page for more details.
Please bring your own lunch, snacks and drink