Rock Instructor Training November 14, 2022
Rock Instructor Training Overview
Our Rock Instructor Training is specifically designed for people who are wanting to lead people in the rock environment. If you are working towards NZOIA Rock 1, or are wanting to become trip leaders for clubs and social groups this will be the course for you.
This is a 7 day “train the trainer” style course designed to look at key aspects that are important when leading others in this dynamic environment. There is a level of technical competency you will need to meet in regards to your personal skills in order to be able to attend this course, this is outlined in our pre-requisites below.
N.B: The 7-day instructor training is dedicated to the aspiring Level 1 instructor, the 9- day instructor training is dedicated to the aspiring Level 2/senior instructor
Before attending this course, you must be competent
- Belaying with a belay plate/device and assisted braking device (GriGri),
- Setting up top rope anchors on rings/bolts,
- Understanding and having a system for your personal cliff top safety,
- Release a jammed belay/abseil device.
- Use of prussic and be able to tie some key climbing knots.
If you do not meet the requirements in your personal skills we have aligned this course to our Rock Training Courses, where you can combine the 7-day Rock Course and this 7-day instructor training.
We strongly recommend you combine our personal skills course with Instructor Training to observe how our climbing instructors deliver and scaffold learning to a group as well as ensure your personal skills are at industry standard.
Level 1 Rock Instructor Recommended Training Pathway
The OENZ 7-day rock climbing course + 7-day Rock Instructor Training for leading groups in top-rope climbing at single pitch sites, where rings/natural protection may be used for setting up safety and/or climbing anchors.
We also encourage keeping a personal logbook starting with 20 days of personal experience climbing on different types of rock i.e. Schist, volcanic, granite, and on either: top rope, sport (lead), and recommended additional days observing other instructors teaching rock climbing.
Recommended additional training for leading and teaching others rock climbing
- OENZ Facilitation and Leadership Course (this is an optional separate 5-day course)
- OENZ Weather Course
- OENZ 2-Day Trad climbing course (for those looking to complete NZOIA Rock 1)
See our Senior instructor training for more details on the Level 2 Rock Instructor
Instructor Training Location
This course will be held in the Christchurch port Hills utilizing the many rock climbing areas we have available.
Instructor Training Accommodation
**All your accommodation is included in this rock instructor training**
Living Springs Cabins
Living Springs is a 25-minute drive from Christchurch that sits above Lyttelton Harbour. Central to a range of port hills climbing areas we can access our local crags quickly to make the most of our days.
Gear & Equipment
Just bring along your normal rock climbing kit. We will send you a detailed gear list once your booking has been processed.
If you’re not sure you have everything you need for the course, no need to stress, we have all the gear and equipment available for you to hire. Just add a note to your booking or give us a call to organize your gear rental in advance.
We will also supply all of the group and client equipment needed for the model client days.
Food is not provided on this course. We recommend packing plenty of snacks and lunch that do not require cooking. The accommodation has a full kitchen & fridge that you are welcome to use. Alternatively, the local pub & cafe in Governors Bay serves meals and refreshments.
We collect you from your accommodation on
day 1 and then provide daily transport to and from the crags and accommodation for the rest of the week.
Traveling from out of town?
We recommend that you arrive in Christchurch the day before your course. We have a few hotel & hostel suggestions on our FAQ page. Please avoid booking accommodation north or east of the city center. At the end of the course, we are more than happy to drop you back at your accommodation or directly to the airport. The earliest time we can have you back at the airport is 6 pm.
What’s Included in this
Rock Instructor Training ?
L1 Rock Instructor
- Applying weather forecasting to
Anchors & Safety
- Create efficient and safe top rope anchors
- Create efficient and safe natural protection anchors
- Demonstrating safe practices around cliff edge for self and students
- Create safe and efficient client-based abseil
Facilitate the following
- Being able to effectively communicate climbing calls, buddy checks, and group boundaries at a crag
- Deliver a clear and concise belay briefing
- Teach a suitable knot for the climber to tie into
- Safely manage two active ropes and understand the advantages/disadvantages of backup belayers and how to manage them.
- Release a jammed belay device
- Carry out a top rope rescue
- Understand a range of methods for supporting a stuck climber
- Plan and prepare 2 x single-day educational and safe rock experiences for model clients
- Lead and manage a group for 2 non-consecutive days
- Apply effective safety management applicable to group, terrain, and environmental conditions.
- Discuss key access and land management issues that affect the rock climbing community today
- Integrate local geology, rock climbing history and crag development into a climbing session.
Rock Instructor Training Timetable
|Week 1||Instructor Specific Skills Day||Instructor Specific Skills Day||Facilitation & Planning||Model Client Experience||Reflection & Planning||Model Client Experience||End of course – wrap up and final results.|
How many people will be on my instructor training?
We believe that small groups are better for this type of training. So we have a maximum client to instructor ratio of just six clients to one instructor. If there are eight clients you will have one guide and one assistant guide, twelve clients means there will be two guides and you’ll operate in two smaller groups.
Yes, the minimum number for the course to proceed at the advertised price is three clients. We won’t cancel your course if we don’t meet the minimum numbers though, instead, we will offer you the following options:
a.) A shorter private course with 1-1 tuition – e.g. with one person we can cover the course content much faster, so far fewer days are needed.
b.) You will be offered to continue with the course as planned and cover the extra cost.
c.) We can transfer you to another date when the course is running again.
Note: In the unlikely event that the course length is shortened due to insufficient numbers. We will provide accommodation for you for the full duration of your original booking. ie. any extra time following the course being shortened.